Welcome to our Veteran Friendly Campus

Military Friendly Spouse School 2021-2022

Military Friendly School 21-22 logo

As a student at Three Rivers, you are joining a proud contingent of veteran and active military students who have pursued higher education here for over 50 years. Three Rivers, as a member of a community that is home to the Groton Submarine Base and the Coast Guard Academy, has the experience to support you in your successful pursuit of a degree, certificate or workforce training. You’ll find that many of our professors, staff and administration are veterans who know the journey you are taking. We’re here to help ensure your success. Welcome!

PRIORITY REGISTRATION for Veterans:  ALL Veteran students can register on the first day of registration, regardless of status (Non-degree, New, Transfer, Readmit and Continuing

Veterans Resources

Oasis Center

The Center, located in Room F203, provides a welcoming place for student veterans to socialize with other veterans as well as to study. The Center also serves as the College focal point for veterans activities. Learn more.

Academic Advising

You can get assistance with selecting courses, reviewing programs of study. degree evaluation, choosing a career and/or major, career information, and transfer counseling. Learn more.

Veterans Organization Membership

Veterans Organization membership is free and is not exclusive to veterans only. Any person who has a vested interest in meeting the needs of veterans is encouraged to join. For more information about the Veterans Organization, please contact Andrew Cullan at 860-215-9229

Veterans Educational Benefits

We stand ready to provide guidance regarding eligibility requirements and the processes needed to access Veterans Administration educational benefits. We will assist you through the process and also help you access other benefits you may qualify for.

Available Veterans Educational Benefits

Chapter 30 Benefits– Montgomery GI Bill®, Active Duty (MGIB)

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of educational benefits. The benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, and apprenticeship / on the job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency and refresher courses may be appropriate under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 30. This benefit is for those veterans who served on active duty after June 30, 1985, those who had remaining entitlement under the Vietnam era GI bill, and those who switched VEAP before voluntarily separated after February 2, 1991.

Chapter 31 Benefits: Vocational Rehabilitation for Veterans with Service-connected Disabilities

Vocational rehabilitation educational benefits are for veterans that have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable. Has a service connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the department of veteran’s affairs and Applies for vocational rehabilitation and employment VR&E Vetsucess services.

Chapter 32 Benefits: Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP)

VEAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this educational benefit program. Contributions are matched on the 2$ for 1$ basis by the department of defense. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, and apprenticeship / on the job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Chapter 33 Benefits

Generally, an individual who served a minimum of 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001, will be eligible for education assistance under the post 9/11 GI bill®. Active duty served as a member of the armed forces or as a result of a call or order to active duty from a reserve component under section 688, 12301(a), 12301(d), 12303(g), 12302 or 12304 of the title 10 is qualifying active duty service. In general an individual’s eligibility to use chapter 33 benefits expire 15 years from the date of the last discharge or release from active duty of at least 90 days.

Chapter 35 Benefits: Dependent Educational Assistance (DEA)

Educational assistance paid to dependents of veterans who have a service connected permanent and total disability or died as a result of service connection.

Chapter 1606 Benefits: Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

Chapter 1606 is an educational program for members who are actively participating in the selected reserve. Selected reserve components include the Army reserve, naval reserve, air force reserve; Marine Corps reserve, coast guard reserve, army national guards and air national guard. The department of defense and the department of homeland security (Coast Guard) determine who is eligible for chapter 1606. The department of veteran’s affairs administers the program and pays benefits.

Chapter 1607 Benefits: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

This is an education program for active members of the selected reserve called to active duty and members of the individual ready reserve (Army IRR, Air Force IRR, Navy IRR, and Marine Corps IRR) called to active duty in support of a contingency operation or a national emergency declared by the president or congress.

Requirements for Receiving Veterans Education Benefits at Three Rivers

Veterans and students eligible for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits must complete the College’s application procedures for degree or certificate students. In addition, such students must contact a College VA Certifying official, Justin Slater at 860-215-9294, Sarah Dudley McDermott at 860 215-9240, or Donna Ramos at 860-215- 9283. Reservists and members of the National Guard are eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 1606) and must contact the College VA Certifying official and supply the Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) form in order to file for benefits. Connecticut tuition waiver may apply to some veterans.

All students who will use VA benefits must be enrolled at Three Rivers as degree or certificate-seeking students. New students must have military and civilian education evaluated by the College. Since Veterans Administration benefits cover only courses which do not replicate previously gained credit, students receiving VA benefits are advised to submit their separation (DD214) and/or educational transcripts for an evaluation of Military Learning and /or transfer credits.

Continued eligibility for benefits is contingent upon the student complying with College regulations and conformance with program-of-study requirements. Only courses required for degree or certificate completion are covered by VA benefit programs. Additional courses selected by the student become the financial responsibility of the student.

Benefits can cover all or part of tuition and fees. Learn more about Three Rivers Tuition and Fees.

Steps to Apply for Veterans Educational Benefits

STEP 1: Go to the GI Bill® Website

Go to the Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill® website for additional information and to download paperwork, or come in to see one of our VA Certifying Official, Justin Slater at 860-215-9235, Sarah Dudley McDermott at 860-215-9240, or Donna Ramos, at 860-215- 9283. Make sure you bring a copy of your DD214 (member 4).

STEP 2: Meet with the VA Certifying Official

You need to sit down with a VA Certifying Official to go over your paperwork and discuss the process of receiving your benefits.  Additional information and rules that apply to receiving your benefits are explained during this meeting. To make an appointment, call Justin Slater at 860-215-9235, Sarah Dudley McDermott at 860-215-9240, or Donna Ramos at 860-215- 9283*

* Please note that you are free to make an appointment to meet with a VA Certifying Official at any time during this process, and at any other time you have questions or concerns.

Once you have applied and met with a Three Rivers educational advisor to select courses, if you have any questions or concerns that Three Rivers cannot assist with, you can contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 or visit the official website at Veterans Benefits Administration – Education and Training. Active duty members, after meeting with a Three Rivers educational advisor, are encouraged to contact their Educational Services Officer (ESO) for final approval.

Other Benefits

As a Veteran, you may also qualify for benefits beyond those provided through the Veterans Administration. These may include:

  • Tutorial Services
  • State Tuition Waiver
  • Federal and State Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Federal Financial Aid may also be available for veterans. Three Rivers has dedicated financial aid professionals to assist with any questions that you may have regarding your eligibility. Three Rivers financial aid advisors, counselors, and director are available to analyze student’s financial circumstances as well as their academic goals and personal situations to see if financial aid is available for veterans. Our Financial Aid staff brings a combined 73 years of experience to Three Rivers Community College. The department members possess the following qualifications: familiarity with federal, state, and private funding sources and their policies and regulations; personal financial management skills; strong information technology literacy skills; budget management skills; and the design of financial assistance strategies conducive to attracting and retaining students meeting the College enrollment objectives. These skills and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education, training, and experience which would include a Master’s degree in an appropriately related field together with two to five years of related experience.

A timeline of financial aid deadline is below:

TRCC Financial Aid Time Chart




Learn more about Three Rivers Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Quick Facts

How do I apply for the GI Bill®?

Students must apply using the standard GI Bill® forms. Students can come to the TRCC veteran’s office and the veteran’s certifying official will be available to assist with these forms. Students can also apply online using VONAPP or Veterans Online Application.

What form do I use?

If this is your first time applying for GI benefits, complete Form 22-1990; for others (dependent/spouse), complete Form 22-5490.

What other forms do I need to provide?

For all active duty students, you must attach a copy of Form DD-214. For non-active duty (reservists/guards), you must attach a copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).

How do I check the status of my submitted application?

Call 1-888-442-4551 or 1-888-GIBILL-1.

Official Veterans Websites

Where can I purchase books?

The Three Rivers Community College Bookstore sells all books needed for classes. It in located on the first floor, near the main entrance. The bookstore also have a complete online store.

Principles of Excellence

Three Rivers Community College commits to comply with the following Principles of Excellence:

  • Provide students with a personalized Financial Aid Shopping Sheet covering the total cost of an education program;
  • Inform students who are eligible to receive Veterans education benefits of the availability and potential eligibility of Federal financial aid before packaging or arranging private student loans or alternative financing programs;
  • In compliance with Policy 34 C.F.R. 668, avoid fraudulent and unduly aggressive recruiting techniques as well as misrepresentations, payment of incentive compensation, and failure to meet state authorization requirements;
  • Obtain the approval of the institution’s accrediting agency for new courses or program offerings prior to enrolling students;
  • Accommodate the service members and reservists to be readmitted to a program if they are temporarily unable to attend class or have to suspend their studies due to service requirements;
  • Align institutional refund policies with those under Title IV, which governs the administration of Federal student financial aid programs, and;
  • Provide educational plans for all military and Veteran education beneficiaries.
  • Contacts who can provide academic and veterans benefits advising are Justin Slater at 860-215-9235, Sarah Dudley McDermott at 860-215-9240, Betty Williamson at (860) 215-9207, or Donna Ramos at 860-215- 9283.

GI School Feedback Tool

If there are issues or complaint about a school or training facility that’s eligible to receive GI Bill benefits, feedback can be submit to the VA here.

VA Certifying Officials

Justin Slater
(860) 215-9235
Registrar’s Office, Room A115

Sarah Dudley McDermott
(860) 215-9240
Registrar’s Office, Room A115

Donna Ramos
(860) 215-9283
Financial Aid Office, Room A111