How to Enroll – Workforce & Community Education

It’s easy & open to all

Workforce (job-related) and community education non-credit classes have open enrollment. The only limitation is class size, so complete and submit your registration as soon as you can.

Join the thousands of your co-workers and neighbors who get involved in our classes, seminars, and workshops every year. Call us at (860) 215-9028 if you have further questions.

Three ways to register

First, visit our Workforce & Community Education web pages to select the course(s) you want to take. Then register by one of the following three ways.

1. By Mail

Complete the course’s registration form (download here), include payment, and mail to:

Three Rivers Community College
Attn: Workforce and Community Education Department
574 New London Turnpike, Norwich, CT 06360-6598

2. By Fax

This method is only available if you are paying by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover). Complete the course’s registration form (download here), and fax to: (860) 215-9902.

3. In Person

In case you have questions or are unsure how to complete the registration, we invite students enrolling in non-credit classes to register in person at the Workforce and Community Education Department, located next to the Welcome Center.

Program Funding Options

  • Personal Payment: Cash, check, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover)
  • WIOA (Workforce Investment Opportunity Act): Students may contact their local Department of Labor (formerly CT Works) for eligibility information regarding TRCC courses. This program is for unemployed or underemployed individuals. Students need to complete program requirements through WIOA to become eligible for course payment.
  • Connecticut Indian Council: This is a private, non-profit organization funded by the Department of Labor as part of the Indian and Native American Workforce Innovation and Opportunities Act. Students who are able to provide documentation showing Native American Status may be eligible for funding.
  • City of Norwich: This program is funded through the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Community Development Block grant (CDBG) andis for low to moderate income students. The student must be a resident of the city of Norwich.
  • Mortgage Crisis Job Training Program: Students who are homeowners and behind on their mortgage payments may be eligible for the Mortgage Crisis Job Training Program. This program helps students gain the skills to earn more money and become financially stable.
  • TVCCA: This program is for individuals 55 and older with limited income, and offer employment training to enhance employability.
  • HPOG (Health Profession Opportunity Grant): This program helps low income individuals’ gain entry into healthcare profession occupations.
  • SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program): Students receiving SNAP assistance may be eligible to take one of TRCC’s workforce training programs for free. Click here for more information on SNAP.
Program Contact Phone Phone Requirements
SNAP Holly Badalamenti (860) 215-9426 SNAP Recipient
WIOA-Norwich Local Office (860) 859-5600 Unemployed, underemployed
WIOA-New London Local Office (860) 439-7400 Unemployed,  underemployed
CT Indian Council Local Office (860) 535-1277 Native American staus
City of Norwich Lee-Ann Gomes (860) 823-3770 Resident of City of Norwich
Mortgage Crisis Rose Sbalcio (860) 522-1111 Homeowner
TVCCA Ted Pappagallo (860) 425-6603 55 and older
HPOG Virginia Sampietro (860) 859-4100 Low income student
Manufacturing Pipeline EWIB (860) 215-9437 Online application

Refunds and Course Cancellations

Refund Policy

A full refund for noncredit programs will only be considered when a student drops a class up to one business day prior to the first scheduled meeting. You may submit your written request to the office of Workforce and Community Education by mail, e-mail (, or by fax (860) 215-9902.

Students need to provide the following information: full name, address, date of birth, student identification number or social security number, and course reference number (CRN). In addition, we require a brief explanation for your withdrawal.

Verbal withdrawals for noncredit programs are processed only through the office of Workforce and Community Education by phone or in person.

Refunds are mailed directly to you approximately two to four weeks from the processing date. No refunds or credit towards another program will be considered after the first class has begun.

Cancellation and Course Change Policy

The college reserves the right to limit the number of students registered in any course, to cancel any courses for which there is insufficient enrollment, and to make changes in the schedule as circumstances require. Course cancellations will be announced before the first day of class.

For weather related cancellation info, call the college’s main number at (860) 215-9900.