New and Updated Covid-19 Resources for F-1 Students

We welcome you and students from all over the world to Three Rivers Community College. We are excited that you are considering Three Rivers to pursue your college degree. Here are the steps for applying.

International Student Application Process

If you are applying for a student visa (F1), please complete the following procedures at least six weeks in advance of the semester in which you wish to enroll. Special circumstances may be considered on an individual basis. 

Please submit the following documents to the Admissions office:

  • Complete the online application form.
  • Proof of High School Graduation: Attach a copy of the original diploma that certifies high school graduation. A translation or statement of educational equivalency by an authorized official or service may be necessary.
  • Credential Evaluation Services
    Center of Educational Documentation (CED)
    World Education Services (WES)
  • Immunization: Please refer to the Immunization Form (pdf) for detailed information on this requirement.
  • English Proficiency: Three Rivers does not provide qualified intensive English as a Second Language instruction. For this reason, all international F-1 students must have sufficient proficiency in English to allow them to enroll in a full-time program. All new students must take the online College Accuplacer Placement Test to assess their basic skills in English and mathematics and demonstrate English proficiency prior to enrolling at the College (there may be exceptions). You must first complete the Online Application for Admission to obtain a Student ID in order to make an appointment for the test. For more information on this requirement go to:  Foreign students applying from overseas who have taken the TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo test are encouraged to upload the scores to their college application. A minimum TOEFL score for admission is 500 on the written version, 173 on the computerized version, and 61 on the internet-based version. The minimum IELTS score for admission is 5.5.  The minimum Duolingo score for admission is 85-90.
  • Copy of your Passport with expiration date including the attached I-94 and, if applicable, a copy of your previously issued I-20.

International Student Expenses

If you are living with a sponsor, provide a notarized Affidavit of support by a sponsor who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident stating that he or she will assume responsibility for room, board, and usual and emergency expenses. If you depend on funds from a source outside the United States, it may be necessary to determine if restrictions exist. You must submit copies of bank statements certifying that sufficient funds are available to cover your tuition, fees, and books for at least one year.

If you are living independently, provide proof of your ability to cover educational and living expenses in U.S. currency. You must submit copies of bank statements certifying that sufficient funds are available to cover your tuition, fees, and books for at least one year. 

Note: we do not have dormitories available for students. You are responsible for making your own housing arrangements. International Students on Student Visas are required to enroll in a full-time program each semester and do not qualify for Financial Aid. 

If you are bringing a spouse or dependent child, we require evidence of at least $3,500 for the support of your spouse and at least $2,000 for each dependent child per year in order to issue the visa eligibility form.

Note: you must provide proof of ability to assume this financial responsibility. A bank statement will be required reflecting that the total amount is deposited in a United States bank.

Tuition and Fees

Effective Fall/Spring Semesters – 2022/2023

Estimated Expenses when a Sponsor Provides Room and Board.
Out-of-State Tuition and Fees $14,220.00*
Books/Supplies/Transportation/Miscellaneous  $8,500.00
TOTAL  $22,720.00 (1 year)
 * To be paid in two installments in August and December $7,110.00
Estimated Expenses when Living Independently.
Out-of-State Tuition and Fees $14,220.00*
Books/Supplies/Transportation/Miscellaneous $8,500
Living Expenses $14,500.00
TOTAL  $37,220.00 (1 year)
 * To be paid in two installments in August and December $7,110.00

*All Tuition and Fees are subject to change

Health Insurance

You may be eligible for coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Refer to the following webpage for more information:

  • Select Get Coverage
  • Select Connecticut to visit the State Marketplace (Access Health CT).
  • Select the Enroll Now tab.

Note: Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (I-20), you’ll need your SEVIS ID from your document I-20. Enter the SEVIS ID number, which is located at the top right-hand side of the document.

Filing Taxes in the U.S.

Are you approved to work? Income you earn in the United States must be reported to the government. Have you received scholarship money or a grant from your school? In both of these instances, you are required to file and pay taxes as an international student studying in the United States.

For detailed information about filing taxes in the U.S. refer to the following website:


Email us at

Or fax us at 860-215-9906.

Filing Taxes in the U.S.

For detailed information about filing taxes in the U.S. refer to the Study in the States website.

Student Resource

Study in the States provides information on how to study in the United States and how to maintain your visa status: