Phlebotomy Technician Program
Phlebotomy Technician Program
What is a Phlebotomy Technician?
A Phlebotomy Technician is an important member of the clinical laboratory team, drawing blood from patients, transporting the blood specimens to the laboratory to prepare for testing, and entering patient data into computer systems.
This course prepares students for entry-level competencies as phlebotomist in hospitals, clinics, blood banks, and other healthcare settings. Students will develop skills in performing phlebotomy procedures during on-campus training followed by offsite clinical externships. Our graduates will be trained to collect, transport, handle and process blood and other specimens for laboratory analysis using venipuncture, and micro-collection techniques.
In addition, our students will be able to identify and select equipment, supplies and additives used in blood collection and understand factors that affect specimen collection procedures and test results.
This course prepares you to take the national certification exams issued by the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT). This exam takes place at TRCC. Students who take the National Certification Exam, will receive a National Certificate. This exam is NOT included in the tuition.
Note: In order to register for the NCCT Certification exam, students will need to upload proof in the NCCT system prior to taking the exam. If you DO NOT of a high school diploma or GED, you will NOT be able to take the NCCT Certification Exam.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or GED required for NCCT exam.
- HEALTH FORM REQUIRED – Completion of Health Form with immunizations and two-step PPD is required to attend clinical for this program. Please complete the form with your medical provider. You can download the form here: TRCC Health Form.
- Personal medical insurance
- Clean criminal background. A criminal background check may be performed. Students who have a criminal record are denied access to clinical internship sites.
- Two lab coats
- A textbook is required for this course and can be purchased at the TRCC Bookstore. This is required for the first day of class.
- Recommended but not required: Interactive Review – Phlebotomy Technician. This can be purchased here.
Fall 2021- CRN# TBD
- Instructor: Christina Carter
- Instructional Method:
- Dates: TBD
- Time: TBD
- Location: TBD
- Clinical – Clinical locations will be given to students towards the middle of the course to ensure they have ample time to inform employers of this training because time off from work may be required. Clinical placements are made on a case by case basis. Placement will be staggered after lectures end.
- Cost: $2,000, plus cost of textbook and supplies*
- CEUs: 13.5-19.5
- Registration deadline: TBD
To register for this course, please visit our Workforce Registration Page. You’ll find directions on how to register, along with information about information sessions with Workforce advisors, funding sources for financing your tuition, refund policies, and more.