Financial Aid & Scholarships

Make paying for college practical

Whether you are a full time or part time student, you may qualify for financial aid. Financial aid can come from a variety of sources (federal or state government, private programs) and in different forms of aid, including scholarships, loans, grants, and work-study funding.

Our financial aid office and other resources, such as Veterans Services, are available to help guide enrolled students throughout the application process. We are here to help!

First step: apply for FAFSA

FAFSA stands for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. It is the cornerstone for financial aid: completing the application gives you access to other potential sources of funding. (You may find our FAFSA tutorial videos helpful.) When you are ready to get started pursuing financial aid, visit the FAFSA website and complete the application. Be sure to use the Three Rivers school code: 009765

What comes after FAFSA

Depending on your financial status and other eligibility factors, you may qualify for additional sources of aid. The Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid website has lots of detailed information.

Pell Grants

These grants are awarded only to students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. Because they are grants, you do not need to repay them. Any Pell Grant you qualify for will be credited against your Three Rivers student account.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

These supplemental grants are awarded to Pell Grant recipients who document acute financial hardship. The amount of funds available to Three Rivers students varies from year to year.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan

These fixed-rate student loans do not require you to make any payments until six months after you leave college. You can get information on amounts that can be borrowed, interests rates, repayment options, and complete your application at the federal student loans website.

Connecticut Aid for Public College Students & Community College Grant Program

Connecticut residents who demonstrate serious financial need may qualify for these grants. Our Financial Aid office will award these based on funding availability and individual eligibility, which includes satisfactory academic progress.


You can contact our Financial Aid office to find out your eligibility, and to learn of work-study job openings at Three Rivers. (Limit: 20 hours per week.) In-state students may also be eligible for state-funded Community College Work-Study funding. Work-study funding is needs-based.

Other Loans

Parents’ Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

This program allows parents of dependent students to borrow in their own name through the Federal Direct Loan Program to help meet the student’s educational expenses.

Private educational loans

If you have exhausted all federal and state aid options, you can consider a private educational loan, which generally have higher interest rates. The FinAid website has a useful comparison chart; information on the Federal Aid First website can help you understand the differences between federal and private student loans.


We encourage all students to pursue scholarship opportunities: many civic groups, large employers, cultural and religious institutions, and other organizations make scholarships available. High school students should check with their guidance office for opportunities to apply.

Once you are enrolled at Three Rivers, there are a number of grants and scholarships you can apply for through the school. Three Rivers scholarships take into consideration your area of study, proven academic performance, and other circumstances. Your academic advisor and our Financial Aid office can help you with these.

View all scholarship opportunities.


Contact the Financial Aid Office at 860-215-9040 or